Have you considered a career in Game Design?
Are you a gamer? Do you enjoy playing video games or coding? Does the idea of creating and designing your own virtual world excite you? Ifso, this is the course for you! Tap into your creative and technical skills as you learn about the many aspects involved with designing video games.
You will learn about video game software and hardware, various gaming platforms, necessary technical skills, troubleshooting and internet safety
techniques, and even the history of gaming. And to top it all off, you’ll even have the opportunity to create your very own plan for a 2D video
game! Turn your hobby into a potential career and go from simply being a player in a virtual world to actually creating one.
The Career Exploration Course contains 8 Units:
- Unit 1: From Tut to Mario: A History of Gaming
- Unit 2: What’s in a Game?
- Unit 3: Game Pieces
- Unit 4: Let’s Talk Shop About Game Mechanics!
- Unit 5: Developing a Game Design Document
- Unit 6: Narratology: Storytelling in Games
- Unit 7: The Business of Video Game Design
- Unit 8: Let’s Make a Game!
Before this course is over students will:
• Understand how video games apply physics concepts, such as friction, drag, and collision
• Explain the evolution of computer programming languages through their generations
• Describe the basic components and advantages of object-oriented programming
• Identify the different components in a simple script
• Program your first object in Unity
This class is pre-recorded and can be started anytime during the year. Students have 10 months to complete the class. Pre-Recorded and delivered through Moodle. This course is excellent for students in 7th -12th. Counts towards 1/2 Credit of STEM, Elective or Career Exploration.
You might also be interested in our other Career Exploration Courses, such as Forensic, Culinary Arts, Digital Art & Design. Check our our Course Catalog to see the rest of our exceptional program such as live on-line Courses,Struggling Learners Program, Academic Advising, Community and more!