Back to School for You, Mom!
- You’ve combed the internet looking for the best deals…
- You’ve spent hours visiting your favorite homeschool groups, social media pages, and blogs…
- You have what is starting to look like plan…
- You tell yourself that you are ready to get started!
I have a question for you, Mom.
What about YOU?
We get so wrapped up in preparing for our kids to have a successful school year, yet we don’t plan for US. That’s what I want to do in this article today. I want to talk about some sanity savers that will help YOU prepare YOURSELF for back to school!
The 4 20s
When attending a workshop held by Oginga Carr, a business coach in my network, I heard about the 4 20s. These are four things that you do every morning before picking up your phone or doing anything for anyone else. Here they are:
- 20 ounces of water—Most water bottles are 16.9 ounces, but you can still find some 20 ounce bottled water, guestimate with your own water bottle, or find a 20 ounce water bottle.
- 20 ounces of reading from a physical book—GASP! Who does THAT any more? The truth is that we are less likely to be distracted when we read from a physical book because it has no notifications popping up!
- 20 ounces of body activation—Yes, exercise is what I mean. This is one that I have to get better with myself. Sigh!
- 20 minutes of planning—What do you want to get done today? What is it going to take to get it done? Do you have it? If not, what can you use instead? Get things together before your family converges on you!
Chore and Responsibility Chart
Everybody in the house needs to help—and you need to LET THEM HELP! Let go of the perfectionist mentality and give your children chores. Take advantage of teachable moments because it is all stuff they need to know by the time they leave home anyway! Consider using a loop schedule to keep down arguments about turns. Here’s what loop scheduling looks like:
|Laundry||Kid 1||Kid 2|
|Living Room||Kid 2||Kid 3|
Definite Working Hours
If you work at home or run a business out of your home, establish definite working hours and get your family on board. Let them know that if no one is bleeding, on fire, or has severed a limb, you are not to be disturbed. Have things prepared for them to do during that time and teach time how to help each other! Call in reinforcements if you need to, especially if you have little ones.
Meal Planning and Prep
Having a meal plan can make dinner time simple and shut down time less chaotic. Start with family favorites and then develop a rotation based on what you know your family will eat without question! For freezer meals, you can use sectioned containers from Amazon. The ones we have are dishwasher, freezer, microwave, and oven safe!
Contrary to popular opinion, you need to have a day and time to yourself to do the things that you enjoy. Doing so does not mean that you don’t love your family. The best thing you can give your family is a complete and whole YOU! So, even if it’s just going for a quick walk, movie and a snack in your room, or reading a book while they are doing their work. Make a way to do something for YOU!
Back to school isn’t just about them. You need to do things for you, too!
True North Homeschool Academy links arms with homeschoolers world-wide to bring quality teachers, classes and programs to you! Check out our Catalog!