Certain Holidays get celebrated big time at our house, and the 4th of July is one of them! We love this country and the principles it was founded on. But we don’t consider ourselves proud Americans- more like grateful Americans. We had the opportunity to choose our education, vocation, spouse, faith, location, and lifestyle. Is it any wonder that people are clamoring to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
So, yep, we celebrate by decorating the house with red, white, and blue buntings that look about perfect on our 100-year-old house, along with Old Glory flying, friends to celebrate with and fun to be had by all!
Family recipes, activities and traditions are an important part of every holiday – here are some of ours!
- Grilled Chicken or Flank Steak, marinated in soy sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and a ton of cilantro.
- Deviled Eggs: My deviled eggs are de rigor for holidays and perfect as is. Peeled boiled eggs, sliced in half. Smash yolks with real mayonnaise and mustard to taste. Set egg white halves on your beautiful carnival ware deviled egg plate, and spoon the generous yolk mixture into each half. Sprinkle with paprika and enjoy. Perfection!
- Veggie Tray: all the veggies. Sour cream with Spike and lots of Dill if you want a dip.
- All the Fruit is in a scooped-out watermelon half. Get fancy and scallop the edges if you want.
- A beautiful charcuterie tray
- And Cheesecake, with berries and a swirl of chocolate, or topped with berries, like ours!
- Easy Punch: Grape juice with 7up and Lemonade and lots of ice, because we can our own grape juice every year and it’s just part of the summer holidays. Serve in pint-sized mason jars, of course.
Celebrate with Good Fun!
We often spend the afternoons doing target practice and then eat. When everyone is full and just schmoozing, everyone gathers together and my husband reads the Declaration of Independence out loud.
We take time to read the signers’ names. It’s sobering. These men, and their families, were willing to give up so much for an ideal. An ideal that we have all reaped the benefit of. I am grateful to each one of them for their vision and willingness to sacrifice for the long view.
Declaration of Independence
Reading the Declaration of Independence used to be the main focus of Independence Day celebrations in small towns across America. A national remembrance and vision casting for who we were and are as a country. It’s worth re-visiting annually. As one of my favorite pastors, Skip Heitzig says, “Truth needs a memory”.
Laura Ingalls Wilder writes about the importance of reading the Declaration of Independence as they celebrated the 4th of July, (she and her sisters have it memorized, of course) and the natural law on which this country is founded!
Fireworks & Savings!
And then comes the fireworks. We live in a state that allows fireworks and our property is situated so that we have an entire valley to light up.
At True North Homeschool Academy, we appreciate and celebrate Faith, Family, and Freedom. In celebration of this great country, we are offering a store-wide sale. Thanks for standing with us, in appreciation for this sweet land of liberty!
More About Freedom & Our Nation’s History
If you’d like to learn more about the values that our country was founded on, check out Politics, Philosophy, and Economics, taught by Adam Pruzan. Classes are filling up and we can’t always add a second section, so take advantage of our last sale of the year and sign up now for a live online class where the students and teacher engage in discussions about our heritage.
This is the perfect time of year to tune in and listen to our five-part Podcast Series Authentic Values which speaks directly to the ideals upon which this country was founded. Download these episodes and add some learning to your summer road trips!
- Part I: Authentic Values- Natural Law
- Part II: Authentic Values
- Part III: The Cause for Polarization
- Part IV: Recent History
- Part V: Who We Are
More About the SALE
And stay tuned to all our social media accounts for more information about our sitewide 5% off sale. It is the last sale before our True North Homeschool Academy Classes begin on August 22! You’ll want to be on our mailing list to grab your coupon code! Subscribe here:
World Geography: Expedition Australia$389.00
Geography – Expedition Everest$389.00
Medieval World History$539.00
World History of the 20th Century$539.00
Middle Ages Exploration – Elementary$439.00
World History – Strategy: War & Peace$539.00
World Geography – Full Year$539.00
Modern History ExplorationProduct on sale