Every homeschool mom wants success as a homeschool mom. Wouldn’t it be great if there were homeschool mom success hacks? Seriously.
- You’ve combed the internet looking for the best deals.
- You’ve spent hours visiting your favorite homeschool groups, social media pages, and blogs.
- You have what is starting to look like a plan.
- You’ve told yourself that you are ready to get started.
I have a question for you, Mom. What about YOU?
Easy Homeschool Mom Success Hacks You Can Actually Do
We get so wrapped up in preparing for our kids to have a successful school year, that we don’t stop and make a plan for ourselves. That’s what I want to do in this article today. I want to talk about some sanity savers that will help YOU prepare YOURSELF for back to school!
Homeschool Mom Success Hack #1: The 4 20s
When attending a workshop held by Oginga Carr, a business coach in my network, I heard about the 4 20s. These are four things that you do every morning before picking up your phone or doing anything for anyone else. Here they are:
- 20 ounces of water—Most water bottles are 16.9 ounces, but you can still find some 20-ounce bottled water, guestimate with your own water bottle, or find a 20-ounce water bottle.
- 20 ounces of reading from a physical book—GASP! Who does THAT anymore? The truth is that we are less likely to be distracted when we read from a physical book because it has no notifications popping up!
- 20 ounces of body activation—Yes, exercise is what I mean. This is one that I have to get better with myself. Sigh!
- 20 minutes of planning—What do you want to get done today? What is it going to take to get it done? Do you have it? If not, what can you use instead? Get things together before your family converges on you!
Homeschool Mom Success Hack #2: Chore and Responsibility Chart
Everybody in the house needs to help—and you need to LET THEM HELP! Let go of the perfectionist mentality and give your children chores. Take advantage of teachable moments because it is all stuff they need to know by the time they leave home anyway!
Consider using a loop schedule to keep down arguments about turns. Here’s what a loop schedule looks like:
|Laundry||Kid 1||Kid 2|
|Living Room||Kid 2||Kid 3|
Homeschool Mom Success Hack #3: Define Your Working Hours
If you work at home or run a business out of your home, establish definite working hours and get your family on board. Let them know that if no one is bleeding, on fire, or has severed a limb, then you are not to be disturbed. Have things prepared for them to do during that time and teach time how to help each other! Call in reinforcements if you need to, especially if you have little ones.
Homeschool Mom Success Hack #4: Meal Planning and Prep
Having a meal plan can make dinner time simple and shut-down time less chaotic. Start with family favorites and then develop a rotation based on what you know your family will eat without question! For freezer meals, you can use sectioned containers from Amazon. The ones we have are dishwasher, freezer, microwave, and oven safe!
Homeschool Mom Success Hack #5: Commit to Mom Days
Contrary to popular opinion, you need to have a day and time to yourself to do the things that you enjoy. Doing so does not mean that you don’t love your family. The best thing you can give your family is a complete and whole YOU! So, even if it’s just going for a quick walk, a movie, and a snack in your room, or reading a book while they are doing their work. Make a way to do something for YOU!
Back to school isn’t just about them. You need to do things for yourself, too!
Original article by: Tammie Polk is a married homeschooling mother of three girls who has penned and published over 20 books on life, faith, family business, and fiction — all while working as a substitute teacher and virtual assistant, running two businesses, traveling to speak at various events, hosting an international radio show, and hosting her own events! When she’s not running the world, she enjoys gaming, crossword puzzles, and making board games.
Edits, graphics, and updates by Gina Noble.