How to robot-proof your kids might not be something you’ve thought about. But the future of work indicates that our kids will be living in a technological world: one with artificial intelligence, the internet of things and robots.
Those of us using a Rumba or Alexa in our homes are already embracing a world with robots in our daily lives!
How on earth are we supposed to educate our kids in a way that allows them to compete against technology and robots PLUS fit life skills and the 3 R’s into our homeschool plan?
I’m glad you asked! Because, while we can’t predict the future, we can prepare for it by clearly understanding the strengths and beauty of humanity. Becoming fully “human” is literally, the best way to “robot-proof” your kids.
Look, computers are great at pattern recognition and convergent thinking (critical thinking which uses linear, logical steps to analyze a number of solutions to a problem), but not so great at understanding truth, beauty, and goodness.
Furthermore, computers and robots cannot think divergently (a thought process used to generate creative ideas by exploring many possible solutions). Robot proofing our kids means we help them fully develop their humanity!
It’s an exciting time in the world. During the 4th Industrial Revolution, things will change quickly, some industries will fail and some jobs will become obsolete. But those willing to fully embrace their unique and God-given human qualities, will succeed!
So, to sum up: develop your kids’ humanity: their faith life, people skills, and soft skills.
Here are some practical tips on HOW to develop your kids humanity:
- Develop your kids faith life- teach them about the Bible– how to read, study and mediate on the Scripture, as well as about Church History, how to pray, share their faith and worship!
- A solid liberal arts background will develop academic skills and abilities as well as give our kids a taste of Truth, Beauty and Goodness.
- Focus on building your kids’ Soft Skills Muscles. Human qualities cannot be duplicated by machines. Soft skills such as communication, critical thinking, creativity and collaboration, along with flexibility and adaptability, time and distraction management, loyalty, integrity, etc.
- Emphasize developing your kids Creativity! Creativity is going to be a vital skill as we navigate through this 4th Industrial Revolution!
- Build your kids Critical Thinking Muscles! Encourage them to see “around” a problem and creatively and critically problem solve.
- Give your kids opportunities to collaborate in meaningful ways. Team builders are integral to successful families and work environments.
- Computers cannot become Culturally Agile, but humans can; teach your kids a Foreign Language! Becoming bi-lingual teaches your kids to think multi-dimension-ally and creatively, builds mental flexibility and allows them to more readily become a global worker and student. Furthermore, while robots can translate literal meanings, human nuances in communication are lost to them; we will always need human translators.
- Intentionally work to develop your kid’s very human capacities for flexibility and adaptability! Being able to flex and adapt as well as pivot, will serve them well in a global gig economy.
- Entrepreneurship is one of the best ways to ensure vocational success in the future with the burgeoning gig economy, so teach them what it means to live and think entrepreneurially!!
- Encourage your kids to become auto-didacts (self-learners). Our kids will be working in a fast-paced, global work environment where they will be required to pivot frequently and with ease!
Homeschooling Can Prepare Kids For An Exciting Future
It’s a lot to think about, but a solid educational pedagogy will allow you to give your kids solid academic and soft skills. Add in solid faith-based education and your kids will be set up for future success.
Your kids will be completely robot-proof!
More Resources For You
It’s an exciting world we are preparing our kids for! If you need help pulling it all together, it is our great privilege to come alongside fellow homeschoolers to ensure your academic and future success. Here at True North Homeschool Academy, we offer many resources including: Academic Advising, our amazing live online classes, Enrichment Clubs and a Mom’s Membership.
Check out the Soft Skills 101 podcast where we offer tips and solutions for teaching life skills and soft skills every day. Book mark our blog so you don’t miss helpful freebies, encouragement, and valuable information about home education from experienced homeschoolers and educators. Don’t forget to let us know how we can come alongside you!