AP United States History is designed to provide students with the analytical skills and enduring understandings necessary to deal critically with the problems and materials in United States history. The program prepares students for intermediate and advanced college courses by making demands upon them equivalent to those made by full-year introductory college courses. Students should learn to assess historical materials—their relevance to a given interpretive problem, their reliability, and their importance—and to weigh the evidence and interpretations presented in historical scholarship. An AP United States History course should thus develop the skills necessary to arrive at conclusions on the basis of an informed judgment and to present reasons and evidence clearly and persuasively in an essay format.
- Reinhold Niebuhr, The Irony of American History (ISBN 9780226583983)
- Paul Johnson, A History of the American People (ISBN-13: 978-0060930349)
- Wilfred M. McClay, Making American History Great Again (Encounter Books)
- Cohen, Lizabeth, Kennedy, David M. The American Pageant. 16th ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2015.
- Stobaugh, James. American History (Master Books, 2012). Student & Teacher (optional).
- Cracking the AP U.S. History Exam 2022, Premium Edition (College Test Preparation) Any edition you like!
Earn College Credit while still in high school with this challenging course, that will develop your student’s critical thinking skills, challenge and inspire them. Purchase this course ala-carte or with other AP English or AP Capstone for a robust year of learning. Buy a Bundle for greater savings!
All Advanced Placement tests taught through True North Homeschool Academy are NCAA Compliant. If you are seeking an NCAA scholarship and need assistance, please check out our NCAA Academic Advising.