Art & Music of the Seasons Level II will be an eclectic general music & art course, using the changing seasons as inspiration for our studies! Completion of the full-year course will provide your students with one year of a Charlotte Mason “beauty loop”, which includes learning new art techniques, handicrafts, nature study, along with artist and composer studies.
Charlotte Mason & Waldorf fans will enjoy the focus on nature, color and the expression, as our theme changes each quarter!
Our study of music theory will be expanded into understanding & enjoying rhythm, while we learn & practice bucket drumming! Each quarter, we celebrate our achievements with an “End of Quarter” party where students are encouraged to share their projects with the group.
This class is suitable for students in grades 2-7, but younger students (grades 2-4th) may benefit from side-by-side assistance from a parent.
This class would pair well with any level of Classical Memory classes, Elementary Spanish, IEW & Math for a well-rounded education for your elementary students. Our Elementary bundle helps you quickly plan your entire homeschool year.
PREREQUISITES: For students in grades 2nd-4th, Art & Music of the Seasons 1 must be completed before taking Seasons 2. It is highly recommended that older students also complete Seasons 1 before taking 2, but it is not required if they already have a basic understanding of art principles and/or music theory. Please reach out to Academic Advising with any questions.
REQUIRED TEXTS AND RESOURCES (*See note in Accommodations regarding supplies):
- Exploring Nature Around the Year: 365 Days of Nature Journaling by Lynn Seddon (1 per family, PDF DOWNLOAD):
- Good quality watercolor “cake” style tray, including water pen (1 per student recommended, but 1 per family can be substituted. Each student will need their own water pen. Style recommended
- Mixed media, unlined, “journal” style notebook (1 per student). Style recommended:
- Standard household art supplies including Crayons (Crayola quality suggested), 12 ct colored pencils (Crayola quality or better such as Prismacolor suggested), scissors, glue, tape, markers, 1 black sharpie. Families can share supplies.
- 5-gallon utility bucket. Style recommended
- Drumsticks (1 pair per student). Size 5a is the standard size recommended. If you have a younger student with smaller hands, size 7a is also suitable. It is recommended that you purchase extra sets as drumsticks tend to break. Style recommended
A note regarding art supplies: Older students (especially those who excel in art), may prefer better quality materials, along with their own personal set of supplies. However, for younger students (2-4th grade), standard quality materials & family-style sharing may be appropriate. Please scale supplies as appropriate for your own family’s needs.