Art & Music of the Seasons Level 1 will be a semester of eclectic general music & art course, using the changing seasons as inspiration for our studies! This is also offered as a full-year course which will provide your students with one year of a Charlotte Mason “beauty loop”, including learning new art techniques, handicrafts, nature study, music theory & artist, and composer studies.
Charlotte Mason & Waldorf fans will enjoy the focus on nature, color, and expression, as our theme changes each quarter! Our study of music theory will be achieved by learning the recorder, which provides a wonderful introduction to learning an instrument. Each quarter, we celebrate our achievements with an “End of Quarter” party where students are encouraged to share their projects with the group.
This class is suitable for students in grades K-6, but younger students would benefit from side-by-side assistance from a parent.
This class would integrate well with Classical Memory classes, Latin A, Spanish B or Expedition Amazon for a robust & well-rounded approach for elementary students! Purchase a Bundle for greater savings!
Required Texts and Recommended Resources for Art and Music (*See note in Accommodations regarding supplies):
- Exploring Nature Around the Year: 365 Days of Nature Journaling by Lynn Seddon (1 per family, PDF DOWNLOAD)
- Good quality watercolor “cake” style tray including water pen (1 per student recommended, but 1 per family can be substituted. Each student will need their own water pen.
- Mixed media, unlined, “journal” style notebook (1 per student).
- Standard household art supplies including: Crayons (Crayola quality suggested), 12 count colored pencils (Crayola quality or better such as Prismacolor suggested), scissors, glue, tape, markers, 1 black sharpie. Note: families can share supplies if multiple students are registered for the class.
- Tudor 2 piece Recorder (1 per student):
- Recorder Karate Dojo belts (1 pack per student):
A note regarding art supplies: Older students (especially those who excel in art), may prefer better quality materials, along with their own personal set of supplies. However, for younger students, standard quality materials & family-style sharing may be appropriate. Please scale supplies as appropriate for your own family’s needs.