What would you do if you were the guest of honor at a dinner party hosted by Charles Dickens? What would you eat? By whom would you sit? What would be the topics of discussion and entertainment for the evening?
Get ready to answer all these questions as we study Charles Dicken’s Victorian England.
We get acquainted with the culture, innovations, and challenges of living in Victorian England in the 1800s as well as learning about other famous dead folks from the 1800s that were alive at the same time as Dickens. A portion of the class will be dedicated to learning about the food, customs, and challenges of planning a dinner party to appeal to all the guests on your extensive guest list.
The culmination of each semester will be a “digital dinner event”. We will attempt to step into the shoes of these famous men and women and enjoy a deeper understanding of what life really was like in Victorian England. Get ready for a better understanding of the impact these famous folks had on the whole of history.
This course is suited well for junior high or high school students interested in a different approach to history or those looking for an in-depth study for a senior thesis style project.
- Let’s Study Charles Dickens
- Additional materials may be required for those doing a Senior Thesis style project
- Ability to attend the online class and participate in group discussions and project sessions
- Ability to conduct online research outside of class time, being ready for discussion each week
- Those taking this course as a senior thesis project will be given the opportunity for more in-depth research of additional areas relative to the time period
- Required Materials: