This knitting class teaches students of all ages a unique and practical skill that builds creativity, and teaches critical thinking. This course is fun, engaging, hands on and a great way to teach your kids a skill that will provide hours of productive happiness for the rest of their lives!
Over this course students will learn to:
- Cast on
- Cast off
Students will be required to give a small presentation on their project with reasons for style and function. This hands on course is fun and community oriented! We encourage students to bring a Grandma, sibling or parent to class, to learn alongside of them!
- We will also be going over the relationship of our fingers with the yarn, and our yarn with the needles. There will be lots of trouble shooting and problem solving involved in make a lovely piece of wearable art.
- We will look into some of the aspects of the science and math behind a great project.
Students will need yarn and knitting needles appropriate for the project they are working on. Our first project will be an infinity scarf.
For this class you will need:
- 1 – set wooden circular knitting needles, size US 9 – 13 or 5.5 – 9 mm
- (Any wooden circular knitting needles are a great investment, but if you are not able to get some there will be an alternative project.)
- 1 – skein of yarn, medium to bulky weight yarn (go for color not texture)
Why Learn to Knit?
- Develops new neural pathways, creative and critical thinking skills
- You have the ability to create a gift at your fingertips
- Knitting is a calming art, natural, rhytemic and repetitive, helping to prevent and manage stress, building the body’s immune system
- Practical and useful tool
- Creativity will be a necessary tool for the future!
This is considered a high school elective but middle school students or even mature elementary students who want to learn this valuable handcraft may also join.
Pair Knitting & Crocheting with any of our academic courses or electives, such as Dance at the Movies, Proverbs or Politics, Philosophy and Economics for a robust year of learning. Purchase a Bundle for greater savings.