Do you use writing prompts in your homeschool? Writing prompts are a quick and easy way to get your student’s creative juices flowing. They can add an element of fun for struggling writers or give experienced writers ideas to expand their writing topics and style.
Here at True North Homeschool Academy, we love writing prompts. We use them extensively in our writing club and our homeschools. Today we thought we would make your life easier by sharing six different types of writing prompts, as well as samples of each.
Be sure to read all the way to the end to also grab some free student journal pages!
Humorous sketches to get your creative juices flowing!
- The Dentist by Tim Conway/Harvey Korman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_C3bO8WZ0
- Who’s on First Abbot and Costello https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg
- The Ribbon Dance, John Crist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKBZOKfeM74
- Girls vs. Boys Tim Hawkins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-QXw4PJ6g
- The Three Little Pigs by John Branyon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxoUUbMii7Q
- “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is just, whatever is of good report, if there is any virtue, if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these on these things.”
- “All things work together for good!”
- “His mercies are new every morning.”
- “In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.”
- “To answer before listening — that is folly and shame.”
- “Fight the good fight of the faith.
- “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”
- “… Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.”
(Interested in starting a writing club? Check out our tips here!)
- “To be or not to be.”
- “Once more into the breach, my brethren, once more into the breach!”
- “We know not what we are, but we know not what we may be.”
- “Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late.”
- I would challenge to a battle of wits, but I see you come unarmed!”
- “For she had eyes and chose me.”
- “though she be but little she is fierce!”
- “I’ll just say it! This is stupid!”
- “I can’t do this anymore!”
- “I would rather die!”
- “Are we here to break his knees?”
- “I am your angel of music.”
- “I am right here!”
- “Get a job. Brush your teeth. Murder is wrong.”
- “Weak excuse!”
- Create a recipe for a good life.
- Write your obituary.
- Describe how to get to the Moon.
- Describe the beach and the ocean to a blind person.
- Pretend you are Beauty, meeting Beast for the first time.
- Interview the person who invented fire.
- Interview Hitler.
- Introduce your Mother to George Washington and record the conversation.
- You are a world-famous chef, cooking dinner for on a yacht for billionaires. What will you serve and how will you present your meal?
- You have won a trip on the first commercial space flight. Tell us about your flight and your crewmates.
- You have won a million dollars. You must spend all of it. Describe what you did with the money.
- “If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research!” -Einstein
- “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.” -Bruce Lee
- “Wax on, wax off” -Karate Kid
- “Thank you for making me a part of this!” -Muppet movie Xmas
- “Our assets are frozen!” – Muppet Movie Xmas
- “Who cares if you’re not the chosen one! You’ll do!” (NaNoWriMo)
- “Elevators are awkward” Tim Hawkins
- “It’s between two and three times greater than a normal week” Tim Hawkins
So now your students are all ready to write. What do they need next? Paper of course! No worries, because we also have that covered.
Check out our FREE printable student journal that’s designed just with you in mind.
This printable comes with a wide variety of themes and can be customized to your needs. Print all the pages that you need. You can find it here.
We at True North Homeschool Academy love to make your life easier, so please let us know how we can help you! You can contact us anytime. We are here to help you succeed on your homeschool journey.